Marcy walks in to the kitchen to find Cynthia slumped over the kitchen table with her head face down on the newspaper.
Marcy: What happened?
Cynthia (still face down): Oh, Marcy. It seems like we are in the midst of an onslaught of horrible bad sad terrifying events lately. It’s … so many. And … so much.
Marcy: You people are messed up.
Cynthia: I know. It’s heartbreaking.
Cynthia lifts her chin so it is resting on the table.
Cynthia: You know, I think this general feeling of hopelessness and terror is why the ALS Ice Bucket challenge has been so successful.
Marcy: Oh yeah?
Cynthia: Yeah. I mean, think about it.
- It feels good to be able to do something that is helpful.
- Plus, it’s fun! It’s still hot out so the thought of being doused with a bucket of ice just plain old feels nice. Seriously, there is a reason this is happening now and not in January.
- Besides, our collective favorite distraction – football – hasn’t started yet.
- It’s apolitical so it’s unifying.
- And of course, school is beginning which signals the start of stress and work. The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is an innocent and carefree way to stretch out summer a little bit.
It’s silliness for a good cause.
Marcy: It’s hope!
Cynthia jumps up.
Cynthia: Exactly. I know there are some criticisms out there and I understand them but you know what? I think this is nice. We need more nice. Nice is good.
Marcy: Yay nice!
Cynthia: So I say – go for it ALS!
Marcy: Go for it!
Cynthia: Take that money and run with it.
Marcy: Run with it!
Cynthia and Marcy are now racing around the room.
Cynthia: Find a cure!
Maybe it will inspire us all even further. Maybe it will knock it into our heads that if we do get together we can actually change the world around us and make it better for everyone.
Marcy: For everyone! In the whole wide world!
Marcy and Cynthia stop to think about what a nice place the world could be.
Marcy: So … should we do it?
Cynthia: No. We’re in California. There’s a severe drought. We’ll donate instead.
Marcy: Why don’t you just dump a bucket of Friskies in my food bowl and we’ll call it even.
*Please note, if you are in California please douse yourself responsibly and use grey water, recycle your water, or pull a Matt Damon and use toilet water to raise money for another cause – drinking water for the 8 million people who don’t have it – Water.org.